Navigation

Use The Labels To Navigate The Blog

Thursday 11 October 2012

The End

This, in addition to the other post about Aaron's death, is the full account of that tragic day.

6th June 2002 Thursday. 16:38 Hrs

Basic background information.. Aaron had returned from school coming straight to my house. He was a bit agitated and uneasy. Tomorrow was his PTE meeting at his school. The end of the school term PTE meeting, before they broke up for school summer holidays. Aaron was worried about what will be said. The previous PTE meeting (Parent Tutor Evening) I attended as his "Parent" because his parents were unable to attend. Aaron is no angel, and i had to lie about a few things about Aaron's behaviour in school to his parents. Nothing major, just a more mellowed report in order to prevent a domestic dispute. This year however, Aaron's father was going instead. This made Aaron a little uneasy.

"Hello Aaron, Good day in school?" i asked
"Badda bing badda boom"
"That good eh?" i said smiling
"I'm a little head fucked about tomorrow"
"Why?" i asked
"Its the school teacher grassing day" (PTE Meeting)
"Don't tell me, let me guess. It ain't gonna be good" i surmised.
"Nope"
"Look, its not like you haven't had a bad report before, you will be fine" i tried to reassure.
"Nah, this time i am fucking history"
"What you done this time?" i asked. laughing.

Aaron handed me a letter from the principle. The letter was a letter home explaining how Aaron was caught smoking in the school grounds today.

"Shit" i said.
"Yeah"
"And this is the first time offence yeah?" i asked.
"What do you mean?"
"Never been caught smoking in school before?" i elaborated
"Nope"

"Well, ok, nothing serious then. first time offence, you will just get a ticking off and it will be forgotten about by September when you go back to school" i said.

"Yeah i wish."
"Come on, like. your dad knows you smoke yeah?" i asked, not really knowing as i never really asked.
"Yeah"
"So why worry?" i asked.
"He thinks I quit"

"Really? you been smoking for what? at least two years now? yeah?" i asked.
"Yeah, must be."
"And they haven't worked it out?" i asked.
"I dunno"
"What about that time when they found your fags?" i asked.
"Um, i said they were yours?"
"Did you?" i asked surprised
"Yeah"
"And the smell?" i asked.
"You smoking"
"Azza, Azza Azza.. What are we gonna do with you eh?" I said patting him on the shoulder.
"Look, I am in shit here. Dad will finally know I lied and said I was no smoking anymore."
"Aaron, i am sure he will ground you or something, but it ain't the end of the world" i said.
"Yeah maybe"
"So what else is going to be said in the PTE meeting?" i asked.
"Fuck knows"
"I mean, you tell me most things don't you? About what happens?" i asked.
"Yeah"
"Look, this year you haven't really said anything major. So it wont be bad ok?" i said.
"Ok"

We talked about the letter home, i gave Aaron reassurance that it wasn't the end of the world and he left my house to go home at 5pm. He said he would be around later around 7pm. I kept hold of the letter he had and said its best to not say anything to his dad. i will talk to him tomorrow about it and then it wont be such a shock. Aaron agreed. He kissed me goodbye and left.

At 7pm Aaron text me saying..

"Dad wan me ta stay in tonite. so i see ya wen eva. i don no if i grounded or no. but i text ya l8tr an let ya no"

I replied and said get an early night, i will talk to his dad tomorrow, and good luck in School and the PTE meeting.

07:45 am Friday 7th June 2002.

I was just having breakfast when Aaron came in to my house.

"Morning" i said.
"Hi"
"Sleep well?" i asked
"Yeah, you?"
"Fine, just let me finish my breakfast"

I finished my breakfast, cleaned my teeth and returned to the lounge where Aaron was watching a Breakfast show on ITV.

"So, ready for school?" i asked.
"Yeah, still got time"
"I will run you down there in my car" i said.
"Ok"

We sat and watched News until it was time to leave and then we set off. I put Aaron's bike in the back of my car, I then climbed in and Aaron was already sat in the passenger seat. I took him to school, and kissed him goodbye in our usual secret spot before arriving at the school gates.. a layby a mile away. Then i told him i will probably see him after school at around 16:00 hrs. The PTE meeting didn't start until 18:30 hrs. Which was usual for the school.

At 17:24 Hrs Aaron was back at my house. I had only just got home from work.

"Sorry Azza, i was held up at work" i said opening up the door hearing the TV on and CBBC channel blaring out a Cartoon.

"Hi"
"Good day at school?" i asked.
"Ok, its now summer holiday" Aaron said smiling.
"Cool" i said
"So when are you off for this PTE meeting then?" I asked.
"I gotta be going soon"
"Ok, well. If it all goes rat shit tonight. Just text me ok, and i will come over" i said.
"Ok"
"Don't worry ok?" i said.
"I gotta be going"
"Ok, See you later babe" i said.

We kissed. and i waved him goodbye as he took his bike by foot towards his home down the end of the street. I closed my door and then sat and watched some TV. I knew the PTE meeting was going to finish around 20:30 hrs or so. So i put on some dinner, and sat and watched BBC 1.

At 18:48 Hrs i received a text.

"I am at skool. dad talking to teacher. this is boring"

I replied. "Don't worry, you will be back home in my arms soon. LOL"

"Yeah" he replied.

"See you at 21:00 hrs ish, if you aren't grounded" i replied

"Cool" he replied.

Midnight came and went, and there was still no news of his whereabouts. I sent a text to him asking where he was. and no reply. I never saw the car drive past my house (the only way into the street to his home was past my house, and the street was quiet enough to notice a car passing by) I even went out of my house to check his driveway, and saw no car.

I assumed that maybe Aaron was taken to his Nan's house? she did live around 20 miles away. Usually Aaron was "Dumped" there when he was in the dog house sometimes. Aarons dad was like that, he would take Aaron to his nan's house and then go off and have his "Tantrum" and then pick Aaron up and then ground him and then send him to his room when they returned home.

Or

I assumed that maybe his car broke down? and they were on there way home? maybe by someone giving them a lift? Or maybe Aaron and his dad are sat somewhere in some layby shouting at each other about the bad report?Aarons dad did have a temper on him, I don't ever recall his dad hitting Aaron, but they have been known to have a slagging match and argument at the side of the road.

Or

Aaron has done a runner, trying to escape his dad's fury. yet, why not text me?

I finally fell asleep with the TV still on, it was around 1am now and i was shattered. There would be a logical explanation tomorrow.. maybe Aaron's phone died and he couldn't text me, and the car did pass, i just missed it and he parked it in the garage instead of the driveway. Yeah, that was it.. that was the reason. and Aaron couldn't come over to mine as he is grounded. and the usual thing means he can't phone me or text me as his dad would take his phone battery out so he can't communicate. And i will find out he is grounded tomorrow when i "Just pop by" to ask about Aaron's PTE meeting, and take his dirty laundry back home.

I fell asleep knowing all was well in my mind.


Saturday 8th June 2002. 09:23 Hrs

A knock at the front door woke me up. The telly was still on, i was still dressed and on the sofa. cushions keeping my head comfy. Bang on the door.

"Ok Ok" i said getting up and walking to the door.

I opened it up and looked at a tearful ******, Aarons brother.

"What?" i asked. (Not really getting on with his brother as he was a bit of a twat)

"Aarons.." he stuttered
"What about Aaron?" i asked, still half asleep
"He is dead"
"Fuck off you little bastard" i said.

Just as i was about to start telling him to get a life and grow up and stop bullshitting.. i saw the police car parked just out of sight from my front door. I stepped out of my house pushing Aarons brother out of the way and looked towards Aarons house.

Two police cars were parked outside and a policeman was filling out some form or something stood on the end of Aaron's front pathway.

"He killed Aaron?" i said still looking down the street.
"I said, DID HE KILL AARON?!" I said looking back at Aaron's brother.

Aarons brother was sat down on my front door step crying. in anger, i grabbed him and lifted him up.

"What the fuck happened?" i demanded.

I managed to get him to tell me.

"Aaron died in a car crash last night coming home from school"

In blind fury i walked straight to Aarons house and was stopped by the policeman.

"What happened?!" i demanded.

With no luck from the policeman to explain, Aarons mum came out shouting at me to fuck off.. she was upset, angry and grieving. I eventually went back to my house and slammed the door shut. i stayed there for the rest of the day crying.

Eventually.. I received the news via the local newspaper and communication between Aaron's brother and Aaron's nan, who i was on speaking terms with for some time. I also contacted the BASICS doctor, who just so happened to be a Military Doctor on the base i was serving on. He attended the scene.

The report is in the next post.





No comments:

Post a Comment