Navigation

Use The Labels To Navigate The Blog

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Meeting His Parents



That Sunday, I insisted on seeing Aaron’s parents at their house. Aaron was not happy about that. But I explained that I needed to make sure this was ok. That Aaron was allowed to come over to my house and that nothing untoward would happen and that no suspicious fingers would be pointed at me for being some sort of weirdo.

“Look, I need to just talk with your parents ok?” I asked.
“No”
“Why not?” I asked.
“They will not understand.”
“Understand what?” I asked.
“What you gonna tell them? Huh? I slept with you? I lied about Justin?”
“No, I was just going to say that you are coming over to mine to help me.” I said.
“They wont understand.”
“Look Aaron, there are some pretty strange people in this world. And I don’t want to be labeled as one.” I said.
“But you aren’t a strange people.”
“I know, but sometimes people do see things and start making up lies.” I tried to explain.
“Like what?”
“Like, well. They may think I am doing things to you. Naughty things.” I said.
“Then I tell them you aint.”
“Its not as easy as that.” I said.
“It is.”
“Look, Aaron. If you want to keep coming over. They need to know I am safe.” I said.
“Ok, I suppose.”
“I promise, I wont get you in trouble. I will just say. You are helping me out. I am a new neighbor and its better than a paper round.” I said.
“Ok.”
“But then again. It might cause some arguments.” I thought.
“So why don’t we just keep it secret?”
“For how long?. Someone will notice.” I said.
“Then we tell them then.”
“Ok.” I agreed.

On Monday. I went around to Aarons house when Aaron was at school. I knocked on the door and his mum answered.

“Hi. I am **** I just moved in down the street.” I said.
“Hello.” She said.
“Well, I just moved in. and it appears you son has asked to help me.” I said.
“Which one?”
“Um, Aaron he said his name is.” I said.
“That little bugger.”
“I hope that’s not a problem?” I asked.
“Aaron is a little terror. I don’t know what he is up to. But if you don’t want him around tell him to get lost.”
“Why would I do that? He is just wanting to help me a little. Nothing too strenuous just a little bit of moving empty boxes out and stuff like that.” I said.
“What are you paying him?”
“Nothing. God no. I ain’t employing him.” I said.
“So why is he going over to yours then?”
“I don’t know. He just saw me moving in and he offered to help.” I said.
“He is stealing again.”
“No, not that I can see. I have nothing valuable to steal. And he doesn’t seem the sort.” I said.
“He is a little thief. I tried my hardest to get him out of it.”
“No, I don’t believe he is a thief. He is a sweet young kid.” I said.
“If he causes any trouble. Drag his ass back here.”
“Ok, I wouldn’t drag him. But I get your drift.” I said.
“So who are you anyway?”
“I am **** I moved in down the street.” I said again.
“And my boy is around yours?”
“Not at the moment. He is in school.” I said.
“That little shit better not be skiving again.”
“Nope. Not that I am aware.” I said.
“So what you do then for work?”
“I am in the military. Based up the road.” I said.
“Around here. Everyone knows my boy. They all have had him around theirs. He is always getting caught stealing.”
“Well. Not this time.” I said.
“Just watch it.”
“Ok, but you don’t mind that he is coming over to mine then?” I asked.
“Do as you wish. But you hurt my boy, we will..”
“Look, I wont hurt your son. He is just helping me out ok. That is all.” I said.

Basically. That is how I contacted his parents. And I did have some questions but I thought I had better not push it. Like, what sort of parent allowed their son to sleep out at aged 8? I was a little taken back by her attitude. But I guess. A council estate is not exactly a upper class Ritz of a joint is it?. Kids around here are like feral cats roaming the streets all the time getting up to no good. So I imagine that this is normal behavior of a little kid on this estate.

Later that day. Around 4pm. His dad came around to my house and knocked on my door. I answered it and he told me who he was. I was expecting some sort of fight to occur. But his dad just simply told me this.

“If my son is up to no good around here. I will find out.”

*I assured him nothing is going on. And that he is simply around here helping me out. Then it just slipped out..

“So he was on a sleep over the other night?” I asked.. then cussing to myself for letting it slip.

“No. he wasn’t. why he say something?”
“No, its just. I saw him um.. carrying a sleeping bag. And thought, you know. He looks too young to be out at that time of the night.” I stuttered.

“No window, no lock, no fucking walls could keep him in a house, no rules, no one can tell him what to do. He is a little bastard.”

“I can imagine. Look I didn’t want to get him into trouble. I am sorry.” I said.
“I keep telling him. He is grounded. But he keeps going out.”
“I guess he is a handful” I said.
“Don’t be telling me how to raise my boys.”
“Sorry. No. I didn’t mean it like that. I was just. Well. I don’t want to interfere.” I said.
“My wife says you came around. And that you seem a honest bloke. I only came over to tell you. If he gets out of line. Send him home.”
“So, you don’t mind him helping me then?” I asked.
“Fuck all will stop him from getting into peoples houses.”
“Ok. Well. I will keep an eye out for him then.” I said.
“Don’t be telling no cops either. If you catch him.”
“I wont tell a soul.” I said.
“If he gets caught once more. He will be taken away.”
“Well. Trust me. I wont tell anyone. I just want to live in this estate and keep myself to myself.” I said.

After a conversation about the estate. We shook hands and my whole opinion on him changed. I was under the impression that he was a horrible man, abusive, violent. But he seemed very pleasant and down to earth and kind and gentle. Mainly I think now that he was just panicking that I would catch Aaron stealing report him to the cops and then Aaron would be taken away into care. But I did find out a little more about Aaron now. Weather he was misunderstood. Or was genuinely a crafty little thief.

Well. From what I hear about Aaron now. He is a rebel, natural born, and so. The parents did not bother anymore. Since aged 7 he was in his own world with own rules. The father. Drinking most of the time. The mother, shouting and swearing all the time.

I hope I haven’t caused Aaron any heartache when he gets back from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment