Navigation

Use The Labels To Navigate The Blog

Monday 17 September 2012

Meeting Aaron For First Time



Aaron, was a strange boy at the start. I noticed him coming to the club, dressed in all black, a hood over his face, jet black hair over his eyes. His sleeves pulled up slightly. And his wrists covered in leather straps, friendship bands, a sweat band, studded band, barely enough room for his wrist watch. He was very thin. Almost lanky, yet. He wasn’t that tall.

Aaron was born 24th November 1989. In Beverly Kingston Upon Hull, UK. He has one brother, who is 4 years older than him. His parents were not rich billionaires living it up in a mansion house. They were lower class, council house tenants. His father, was a refuge collector. His mother, worked at the check-outs at the local Co-Op store. They didn’t have much money between them and I imagine it was now quite tough raising two boys. That’s all I really know of Aaron back then, before I met him. It wasn’t a pretty upbringing spoon fed with all the luxuries. It was heads down, food will be spam sandwiches and do as you are fucking told lad or I will smack you around the face.

Aaron, first walked into that club that very day I spotted him. It was January 1998. Aaron had just turned 8 years old. He was now “allowed” to join the club. The ages were from 8 years to 14 years only. But, I imagine but Aarons body language at the time that he was only brought along and dumped there because his dad was pissed off with him and needed Aaron to get out of his hair for the day.

Aaron came in. his dad, not speaking much, threw the 20p on the table. And looked down at Aaron. Pointing a finger and looking like he is making demands. I watched on. From across the room. Aaron just stood there looking straight ahead. Not listening to what his dad was saying. Just a blank expression. Then his dad left. And I saw Aaron turn to the door and stick his finger up at his dad’s back. Then his hands went straight back into his pockets.

At first. He just stood there, looked around the room full of kids playing. And thought the world had turned to shit. Just then, another boy approached him. An older boy. He was 12 years old. And I later found out that he asked Aaron if he was ok. And that he should just relax and have fun. Aaron was still too shell shocked to even attempt to come out of his shell and smile.

About an hour later I looked around the room for Aaron to see if he was still present and there. I saw him, to my surprise. Sat 6 feet away on a chair looking over at me. I smiled, waved and then just tried to ignore him. Not because I didn’t want to see him. I ignored him as he was obviously starring at me for some reason, and I was kind of nervous about asking him what he wanted.

I looked away and was approached by Daryl, a 13 year old, one of the clubs child mentors. His job was to look after new comers to the club. I looked up at him and he said.

“See that kid, he is weird.”
“How is that?” I asked.
“He doesn’t speak at all.”
“Maybe he is nervous.” I said.
“He just wants to sit there and stare at you.”
“Have you tried asking him what his name is?” I asked.
“Aaron.”
“Ok, so, how old is he?” I asked.
“Dunno.”
“Does he seem, upset? Maybe angry? I noticed he arrived and his dad looked angry with him.” I said.
“I dunno, he wont talk.”
“Ok, just, leave it with me, I will go and talk to him in a bit.” I said.

Daryl left and then I looked up towards Aaron’s last known seated position. And was taken back by the fact he was now walking towards me and sat right next to me on a chair.

“Hi.” I said.
*nothing
“I am **** (my name) what is yours?” I asked.
“Aaron.”
“Ok, so, how old are you Aaron?” I asked.
*he sat there and then looked around the room. Then back at me.
“I am 8.”
“Good, so this is your first time here is it?” I asked.
“Yeah.”
“I noticed your dad was a little mad with you, is everything alright?” I asked.
“Yeah.”
“Are you sure? You can tell me if its not you know.” I said.
“Whatever.”
“Ok, well, enjoy your stay at the club. We are here to help you know.” I said.
*he sat there and just looked at my T-shirt (Iron Maiden “Powerslave”)
“I like your T-shirt.”
“Yes, its Iron Maiden” I said holding the t shirt out to show the pattern.
“Cool”
“So, you are dressed like a metal head (someone into heavy metal) Do you like metal?” I asked.

“Yeah.”
“Cool, what bands?” I asked.
“Anything.”
“That’s good. I bet your dad don’t like heavy metal.” I said smiling.
“He is a butthead.”
“Oh, why is that?” I asked.. finally getting something out of him.
“I dunno.”
“Well, he must have been angry at you for something.” I stated.
“I cussed at my brother”
“Why?” I asked.
“He is a butthead too.”
“Most brothers are.” I said. “Is he older or younger?” I added.
“Old.”
“Well, he isn’t here. So you can relax.” I said.
“You be my friend?”
“Um, ok. Yeah sure.” I said taken back.
“I have no friends.”
“Why is that?” I asked.
“They are all buttheads.”
“Ok” I said wondering why that was.

Long story short. Aaron, from that day on was attached to me by some kind of friendship. For a few weeks, he came to the club and made a bee-line straight for me and sat next to me the whole time. We talked about music, and heavy metal and things. At first. It was pretty much a distant friendship. I was unwilling to say much about myself. And form a bond. Friends, not friendly. But for some reason. He opened up to me about most of his life story. Telling me about his dad, his mum, his brother, his school. Why he liked how he dressed. What music he liked. What he hated. I knew more about him than he knew about me.

Soon, in other parts of my life, I finally managed to get my new home sorted. The weekend came that I was going to move out. Seeing how I didn’t have much stuff to take, I hired a box van and moved all my belongings over to my new home. This was on the Thursday, and I was planning on doing the unpacking that weekend. The house was in a cheap part of the civilian town close by. It was all I could afford at the time.

That Friday I decided to go to the club and do the unpacking in the morning. It was a long week at work on the base and I needed to relax a little first. I turned up at the usual time. Around 5.30pm. And helped set up the club before the kids arrived. Soon, 6pm, they started turning up. Aaron arrived on his bike. And parked it in the bike rack. As usual. And most of the other kids were dropped off in their droves by cars and some others walked. Aaron came straight up to me and said.

“I have enough money for that new Iron Maiden CD”
“Cool, when are you going to go and buy it?” I asked.
“Tomorrow.”
“Cool, let us know how it is. Maybe bring it here and we can listen to it next weekend.” I said.

“I need to ask you something.”
“What up Aaron? Ask me anything.” I said.
“I don’t have enough to get into town to buy it.”
“Ok, cant you ask your dad?” I suggested.
“No, he cant”
“Mum?” I added.
“No one can.”
“Ok. Well, maybe someone here can take you.” I said looking around. Knowing that was useless as no one really would do Aaron a favor.

“Can you?”
“Me?. I would love to, but tomorrow I am unpacking in my new home and I wont have any time spare.” I said truthfully.
“I know.”
“You know?” I asked.
“I know you don’t want to take me.”
“Look, Aaron, I am seriously unpacking into my new home down ***** (the street and town) and I have no spare time” I said.

*his eyes widened.
“You moving into **** (street)?”
“Yeah,” I said realizing what I said and now thinking I shouldn’t have said it.
“I live down there.”

*He lived 16 doors away from me at the other end of the street.

“I can come and help you unpack.”
“Oh, no, you can’t. It wouldn’t be right.” I said trying to put him off.
“I be there tomorrow.” He said smiling.
“Ok.” I gave up.

After the club closed at 8pm. I left the car park and waved at the other club helpers and drove on towards the main road. I spotted Aaron turning down a short cut alley on his bike and I continued driving on. I pulled up at my new home and walked in. I suppose, I best just head to bed. Early start in the morning if I was going to finish this before Monday.

Then the door bell went. I hadn’t heard the doorbell before so it startled me. I walked to the front door and opened up. Aaron stood there, breathless. Bike between his legs. Smiling up at me.

“Um, what are you doing here?” I asked.
“I am here to help you unpack.”
“That’s tomorrow. Now, its 9pm at night.” I said looking at my watch.
“So?”
“Sooo.. your parents will be wondering where you are?” I said.
“No they wont”
“Aaron, they will. Its 9pm!” I said.
“They don’t care.”
“They wont?” I asked confused.

*before I knew it. Aaron was off his bike and pushing past me into my house.

“Should we just ring them? And ask them if its ok?” I suggested.
“They know where I am”
“They do?” I asked.
“Yeah. I am at Justin’s house on a sleep over.”
“Um, Justin’s house? Who is Justin? And what part of this house does he live in?” I asked sarcastically.
“Justin is my bunny rabbit” Aaron laughed.
“What?” I asked confused.
“I lie. I ain’t sleeping at Justin’s house. Justin is my pet rabbit.”
“Right, you need to go home dude.” I said now getting worried.
“Fuck home. I stay here.”

*I was shocked and stunned at that comment.

“Aaron, can I ask you something?” I said after a long deep breath.
“What?”
“Is everything ok at home? Like, nothing is happening to you is there?” I asked.
“Like what?”
“No one is making you do something you don’t want to?” I asked.
“No.”
“You sure?” I asked looking at his hazel eyes in between the jet black hair.
“Like what?!”
“No one is touching you? Like. You know. Down there?” I asked seriously.
“Fuck off! No way”

*I believed him

“So, why did you lie and say you were sleeping at a mates house?” I asked.
“So I can stay here.”
“Why would you want to stay here?” I asked.
“So I can help you unpack and you can take me to town tomorrow.”
“But, you don’t need to sleep here for that.” I said.
“I want to sleep here. Ok?!”
“Ok!” I said taken back by the sudden outburst.

“Really? Can I stay?” he asked excited.
“Yeah.” I said giving up. Mentally deciding I will find out about this tomorrow.

and within minuets he was making himself at home.. he bought out his cd's from his back pack that I never even noticed he was wearing and placed some music on the stereo..

I was just watching him.. wondering, worrying. Trying to work out what was going on in this 8 year olds little brain. Why would he lie to his mum and dad and want to sleep at my house. Have I formed TOO much of a bond with him? Have I become too friendly? Did I make a mistake? What the hell was I doing?! This is an 8 year old boy. In my house at 9.32pm on Friday night!!!! He was of no relation. I only knew him from the club. Sure sure, we shared similar tastes in music and opinions. But I swear down that I didn’t do anything out of line here. There is no reason on my behalf that this kid is now acting like he was my son or something. Part of me was scared. Part of me was flattered. I needed a friend. I needed support. I needed something good to happen in my life. But.. I did not expect that to come from some Emo 8 year old boy with a mouth and a snappy temper like an axe murderer. Was I even safe with this kid?!

I made him a coffee. Black, two sugars. And myself one. White two sugars. And placed them on a makeshift table. He said thank you and then started opening up the boxes. Tearing away at the duct tape like some kiddy opening up presents. Well he was a kid. And they were not presents, but just as exciting for him to see what was inside.

He took a small box off the pile and placed it between his knees. He was kneeling on the ground. Then with a heavy tug he removed the duct tape. He opened the box and then he spotted my son's baby photo..

“Who is this dude?”
“That’s my son” I said looking down at the only picture I had of him as a baby.
 “Cool. Where is he?”
“With his mum, i am divorced” I said almost welling up with tears.
“Drag”
“Yes it is” I agreed. Understanding what “Drag” meant without knowing it.
“That hoe dunno what she is missing”

*I was suddenly aware of what he just said..

“Missing?” I asked
“She shouldn't have drifted dude, you are nice.”

*then Aaron spotted I was almost tearful. I was still in the depressive stage of a divorce and probably not ever seeing my son again. He stood up and hugged me. Woooow! What the fuck! Why are you hugging me?! Was what I was thinking.

“Why are you hugging me?” I asked.
“You need it”
“I do, but why are YOU hugging me?” I asked again.
“Because I want to.”

I was so shocked at what I heard.. and so taken back.. and so.. happy I heard it.. it wasn't until a week later that it sunk in and I  realized what he actually said to me.

So, its getting late now. Almost 11.30pm and I spotted Aaron yawning. Gee, he is 8 years old. This is way past his bedtime. I should have done something earlier about sending him home or something. Its now far too late to do anything about it now. So, I went into the spare room and placed a few pillows on the floor and a sheet, a blanket and a few more pillows. That’s all I could think of. I didn’t have a spare bed or a sofa that was any good for a bed. I then called Aaron to get to bed. I showed him the bath room, the toilet. And the make shift bed I had made for him. And said. Get some sleep. That night. I was thinking about my son and starting to think Aaron was him. I don’t know why. I just had a really strange dream that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment